Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Migraine Blog - at the beginning

So it started on June 5th. I took my usual Excedrin Migraine medicine, and it dulled the pain. By the time Joan and Kelly wanted to leave (just after Sacrament), I was ready for a rest too. I sent the kids home with Todd and went to the rest of my meetings. I got home and rested. The migraine shifted up and down the scale throughout the week. On Monday it was horrible, but I was stressed out. I requested time off work to go help at the stables for a Home-School field trip. It was a last-minute request, but I felt I needed to be there because it was just the instructor and 20 kids.

Wednesday I asked for Thursday off from work, and again felt terribly guilty that I was leaving my co-workers in a lurch. Our family left to go North that night to meet up with Kelly and Joan and his family in Bremerton, WA. Still medicating.

Busy the rest of the week. Sunday morning, June 13th, I was in excruciating pain. I went to Urgent Care. They were irritated that 'I had waited soo long'. They gave me a shot of Toradol. It was supposed to relieve swelling. It did nothing. I made it home in time to prepare the kids for church. I wore my sunglasses the whole time. I have had quite a bit of light sensitivity, which is abnormal for my normal migraines. We left just before Sacrament got out. I went home and rested. I was supposed to feed the missionaries that night. KD was going to help, so we were making food for 12 of us. I took some more medicine and kept my sunglasses on.

That Wednesday I went to my PCP. He was surprised that I made it to day 11 of my migraine. He gave me a shot of Imitrex. It made me sick. The kids were with me and they were worried for me. I was very nauseous and my arms were heavy. The Doctor apologized and was worried it might not be a migraine. He sent me down to radiology for an MRI. It was clear.

The Doctor prescribed a daily drug to ward off migraines - Verapamil. It also lowers blood pressure. My blood pressure is pretty low now - usually around 115/68. He said to take it anyway, but to be aware that I might get light-headed or dizzy due to that.

His nurse called me the next day to talk about drug interactions. She called me again on Friday about a few more, and I asked her what I should do about the current migraine. She was startled - thought it was resolved. She called back and said she had ordered a prescription for Oxycodone and if that did not resolve it, to go to the ER for an Oxycodone shot.

The Oxy that night let me sleep. I woke up Saturday, June 19th envigorated. We cleaned up all of the bedrooms and went out and bought doughnuts for breakfast. We got a lot of things done that day.

And my migraine was back on Sunday, the 20th. It has been fluctuating up and down the pain scale since, never completely going away.

One sister said it may be a Vitamin A deficiency, so I have been taking plenty of that. Another said it could be dehydration, so I have been drinking plenty of water.

I fluctuate between pain medications. Nothing makes it go away, but they all deaden it to certain degrees.

No comments: